Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Off to Almont Summer Camp


Tomorrow I depart for Almont Summer Camp with my daughter Ava and teens Nina and Holly. This is my 45th consecutive year. We will be driving to Rochester, NY for an overnight with my cousins, then continue on to Almont to arrive sometime late Friday afternoon. I then pickup my wife Shelley and other daughter Zsa Zsa from the airport in Detroit on Saturday morning. This is an exhausting but extremely satisfying time of year for me. It is work and vacation, which is difficult to do. The busy camp days teaching the 7th - 9th grade class, trying to spend time with the teen group (called the Survivors) and playing with my family (immediate and extended) along with all the great conversations with friends wears you out. But spiritually, it is the most fulfilling week of my year. Church twice a day, lectures, class and wonderful discussions lead to a real time of enlightenment. I love Almont and am so happy to be introducing the summer camp to these two teens from Maine. I'm sure Nina and Holly will have great times with all of their SCYL friends. I'm also sure that they will share their experience with all of you, either here on this blog, in Clear Blue Sky or in person. But most of all, I hope they find the camp to be as meaningful and inspiring as I do and that they want to return year after year.

No comments: