Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Almont Winter Retreat Memories

Here it is one month after the Almont Winter Retreat. I often wonder what teens get out of retreats. What do you guys take home? What sticks with you? Sometimes you take the time to tell me, in an email or on an evaluation form. But,usually I don't hear too much. Then, I started thinking, "What did I get out of it"? One month later, what do I remember? Here's what comes to mind.
  • The long, fascinating stories that Ardit and Arbnor told me about their lives.
  • Ultimate Frisbee in the cold (especially watching poor Sola try to catch the Frisbee in her boots on the ice).
  • The wonderful glow that Nina had after her Baptism.
  • Junchol's incredible hexagonal diagram illustrating how we view and connect with God.
  • The van ride "Newlywed Game" with Nina and Holly (more on this in a future post).
  • DJ Rev. Jenn at the rink. I'd hire her for my party anytime. She might be Disney, but she definitely rocks.
  • Roaring fires.
  • Long chats with Bill in the van.
  • Coffee with Scott.
  • The wonderful flow of new ideas in the SCYL Officer meeting.
  • The new worlds that you created in Bill's session.
  • Watching the Coma Couch festivities.
Most of all, I remember the creative energy, endless enthusiasm and contagious laughter of you, the teens. Our theme was "Does God Matter?" For me, the answer wasn't discovered through deep intellectual thought or contemplation. I found the importance of God by observing the care, respect and love that you teens showed for one another.

Now, what do you remember? I look forward to reading comments about your Almont Winter Retreat memories.

1 comment:

Audrey said...

Hey it is Audrey, Jenn was best DJ ever. I never thought i would hear disturbed playing in a roller rink.Did anyone fit more than 8 people on the coma couch? If anyone wants to contact me my e-mail isn't working right now but you can always look me up on "Myspace". My URL name is justplainAudrey.agray1@comcast.net