Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Fryeburg Youth Group Spring Sleepover



Izzy on the Sax!

The Fryeburg Youth Group hosted it's Spring Sleepover last weekend. Teens gathered at the Fryeburg church on Saturday at 4 pm for a big, exciting overnight. We had a surprise teen guest (Cody) come all the way from Indiana to join us! It was fun to watch the reactions of everyone who saw him. I'm sorry that teens that couldn't attend youth group and everyone out here in Maine didn't get a chance to visit with him (but he'll be back for Memorial Day). It was a nice sunny day, so we started by going to the Snow School park to play Frisbee, swing and climb. People keep showing up and there ended up being 14 teens! Then we went back to the church for dinner and to practice music for Sunday worship. Izzy went upstairs to practice the Sax for the prelude and postlude while the rest of the teens gathered around Nina and her guitar to practice "Hallelujah" and listen to her solo of "I'll Stand By You". After a pasta dinner, we went over to see Rev. Sage at the Parsonage for dessert. She had a giant peanut butter cake for us and Nina brought and made her own brownie batter that was "Nina safe". Around 9 pm we went back to the church to for a spiritual session where we watched and discussed YouTube videos "God as a DJ" and "I've Converted to Every Religion (Just in Case)". After a bit more music rehearsal we played a games of "Sardines" and "Mafia". We all went to bed around 2 am, but I heard the girls up until the wee hours of the morning telling stories and giggling. We woke Sunday morning with just enough time to take a walk up to "On the Run" for coffee and snacks then back to the church for a bagel breakfast before worship. Some of the teens colored the little kids Sunday School page (I love that Celie enjoys this!). Then at we went upstairs for worship. All of the teen music was wonderful and I am happy to be able to share the videos for everyone to see and hear (more on the way!). Many teens commented that this one the best sleepover ever. Almost as good as a retreat. I thought so too. I left feeling positive and happy. No small part due to your teenage energy, discussions, music and beautiful creative spirit. Thank you! What a great lead in to the upcoming Memorial retreat.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Should have come to Eden Valley Bakers for some coffee.. Fair Trade and organic!

Fawn said...

I love this sleep over thing, I wish we had that when I was a teen. Sounds like it was great fun.

Kurt Fekete said...

Hannah - I love your coffee and would have come over if we had the time. Getting to sleep at 3 am made the morning time kind of tight. Maybe next time!

Fawn - It was great fun! I wish it was around when I was a teen too. Now I just must live it vicariously as an adult, which is not a bad option ;-)