Thursday, July 8, 2010

Convention 2010!

Well, another Convention has come and gone and all that remains are the collection of memories from that wonderful event. I sometimes like to wait a bit before I write about an experience to see what sticks. So, now after 10 days has past since we all departed St. Paul, I sit and listen to Mozart and Chopin and wait for images and thoughts float to the surface.

I see teen girls on the lawn of the quad at St. Thomas finger painting the ocean.

I see Cody playing Frisbee keep away with Holly, Janice, Jon and me.

I see the faded red Clifford anxiously awaiting its next call into service.

I
hear the laughter and screams of teens on rides at Valleyfair and the Mall of America (can you see any SCYL girls in this video?).


I feel myself bobbing in the refreshing waves at the wave pool.

I hear the beautiful duet of Nina and Janice covering Sea of Love in the dimly glowing candlelight.


I see the teen girls coming to get Jon in his room shortly after his arrival to welcome him into the group.
I see colored seeking stick notes being formed into a rainbow.

I see teens gathering together to sing Hallelujah.

I remember Junchol's talk about the Buddha and the emotional exchange about the trading card raffle dilemma.

I feel the cool, clammy air in the cave and think about the spirits floating about there.

I see teens lined up at the bar!

I remember Cody calling Jon "Whatever" when we picked him up at the airport.

I recall our discussions about what we are seeking.


I remember how cool, resourceful and organized Liz was in the airport on our return trip.
I think about lining up for a picture in front of the wrong Clifford and wonder what the people who owned it would have thought if they saw.

I will never forget Nina's emotionally touching President address and how the SCYL truly is a home for many teens.

I love the community that you teens have created and wish every person could find a place where they feel they belong. I pray that through the SCYL and Convention experiences some of you teens do discover this sense of belonging. You are all amazing and I treasure the opportunity to work and play in your presence.

No comments: